Friday, June 15, 2012

Longst Training Run---April 29, 2012

I meet Margaret, Laura, and Paul at Amicalola Falls.  Our plan is to run to the Hike Inn and fill up with water on the way out and then head to Three Forks.  Then on the way back we will return to the Hike Inn and refill our water there.  The total planned run is 28 miles.

It is a beautiful morning on the trails today and the grass is really starting to grow and everything looks oddly different since my last run here.  I am also feeling sluggish and slower than usual.  After the Jewel 50k, I had to take some days off due to my huge blister that later got infected.   So, I'm kind of feeling slow although I am trying really hard!

We make it to the Hike Inn and then to Springer.  Laura and Margaret decide we should take the BMT (Benton McKaye Trail) to Three Forks and then take the AT (Appalachian Trial) back.  I love this idea as I've been dying to run this portion of the BMT. 

We aren't on the BMT too long when Laura and Margaret get ahead of Paul and I.  We are perfectly ok with that.  Laura and Margaret are both training for 100 mile races and are faster runners than we are.  The last thing I ever want to do is hold up another runner from their training plan.  Not only that, I am not feeling my best.  I am tripping and stumbling more than I ever have.  It's aggravating.

Paul is running ahead of me and we are about 10.5 miles into this trail when I cross a creek and fall right in on my left side.  I can't believe how fast this happened!  My foot just completely slipped on a rock and went right out from under me.  I am completely submerged in water on my left side.  I hit my left arm/wrist/elbow and the side of my left foot was kind of twisted in between a rock.  My first thought was my elbow because I broke this elbow just last May when I fell off my bike.  My second thought was my foot. 

I stand up and by this time, Paul has realized that I have fallen.  He says I don't look so good.   I think I was more surprised than anything but also trying to make sure that I was just ok and nothing seriously hurt.  I tell Paul that I just need a few minutes to stand there and get my bearings.  I also drown my Motoactv watch which makes me mad since I haven't had it that long.  The stupid thing isn't even waterproof!  Who makes a sports watch that is not waterproofed? 

I am ok, so off we go.  I am really enjoying this section of the BMT. It is very runnable and a very beautiful trail.  We have never run to Three Forks before so we are not sure what we will see when we get there.  But, we eventually come up on it, and it's just quite a beautiful area.   We don't see Laura or Margaret anywhere, so we figure that by now they must be miles ahead of us and that we probably won't see them again today.

So, I say to Paul. We've made it this far and it's ONLY 0.9 miles to Long Creek Falls....Do you want to go?"  Paul says, "No, but I will."  I am reminded of why I like to run with Paul!  I'm sure he cannot see the huge grin that's on my face as I'm finally going to make my goal to get to Long Creek Falls! I just think that if I don't get down there today that it's not going to happen for a very long time because of the heat and the fact that I will run out of water on a warmer day.  I won't be able to make it there again till the fall when it cools down. 

I really want to see Long Creek Falls and my feet already hurt and my healing blister is already re-blistered, but it's just 0.9 miles which means it will add another 2 miles total to our run.  We get to the falls and boy does that cheer the both of us up!  I am so happy to wash my face as it's covered in old and new sweaty salt!  We stop and take some pics.  Paul is happy too once he gets there to cool off.  We are both really glad that we went the extra mile to see it.  It's a for sure do not miss spot!

On the way back, I feel mentally energized for awhile from the pit stop at Long Creek Falls, but I'm still tripping way more than usual.  It's just an off run for me today.  Meanwhile, Paul is having his strongest training run to date!  I am so thrilled for him as this is my worst training run to date!  I just have to laugh because we can't get in sync with having the worst days and best days at the same time!  It doesn't matter though, I'm going to get past this, and I am enjoying the run so much even if I am not feeling particularly fast.

I am also excited as on the way back we are climbing this one tricky section of the AT and the white blazes are vague and really spread apart and there isn't really a discernible trail.  But, us two directionally challenged trail runners figure it out and continue our run. I am so proud of us!  We have come a long way in navigating our route!

We make it back to Springer and then head back to the Hike Inn.  It's sometime after Springer and after about 24 miles that I am realizing just how tired I am.  In fact, I do not ever recall feeling this "tired" on a run before.  I'm talking about not the tired of running feeling, but the kind of tired where I can lay down and take a nap tired.  Paul has commented several times that I act/look tired and about my tripping, and he has never seen me like that.  Well, welcome to the club because I've never seen me like that either!  HaHa!  I'm not really sure what attributed to this off run unless it was my lack of running while I let my blister heal.    Meanwhile, Paul is really running strong and runs ahead of me for awhile on our way to the Hike Inn.

We get to the Hike Inn, and I am happy to go to the bathroom finally after about 8 hours or so!  I swear I think I have a steel bladder.  I am surprised to learn that the Hike Inn has composting toilets!  And, there is a nice sign that says something to the effect that if you drop your phone or keys they will be happy to show you where you may retrieve it from.  It cracks me up to read that while I am on the pot!  AT the Hike Inn, I eat a very rich but yummy cookie and several glasses of lemonade.  This place is awesome to host such treats for a donation.

At the Hike Inn, I ask the staff if two ladies who were running came in, and they replied yes, that they were here 20 to 30 min ago and that they were there for awhile.   So, I was glad to know that Laura and Margaret made it back just fine and did not wait on us.

We leave the Hike Inn,  and by this time I am ready to be done with this run!  Luckily, there are only about 4 miles left.  Although, I am still enjoying it, I am ready to be done. Now, I feel even more sluggish after stopping to eat and drink at the Hike Inn.  We get back to the parking lot and Paul says that we've run 30 miles and it's taken us 10 hours!  Ten hours, Good Grief!

The good news is.... is that it does raise my confidence that even on and off run day, that I can run the DRT 50k within the time frame allotted next November!  Bear in mind that the DRT is actually about 2 miles longer and a little tougher elevation gain.  But, still I know that on "race day", I've got a good shot at conquering the DRT 50k even though it's going to take me the entire 10 hours to do it!  I know I can!



No comments:

Post a Comment