Friday, April 19, 2013

Ashevillle Marathon --March 3, 2013



I signed up for the Asheville Marathon in June 2012 within an hour of opening registration.  I had known for several days ahead of time that this marathon was only going to allow up to 1500 runners on the entire Biltmore Estate for it's first ever Marathon.  It's been so many years since Lee and I last visited the Biltmore Estate so when I explain how we can take the kids and how much fun it would be for us all to enjoy a weekend in Asheville next March, he was all for it.

I have never ran a half-marathon let alone a full marathon on roads before.  In fact, up until this time my longest road run ever was a solo 17 miles!  I really had no interest whatsoever in running long on roads.  But, this marathon really appealed to me because of the scenery.  However, last June I was already registered for 5 trail races in the fall, Hostelity in Jan, and GDR in March.  I knew I would not be training for a "road" marathon.  That's ok, this race was for fun!  I made my decision in Fall of 2011, to train for trail races, not road races.  Refer to my blog post Apples vs. Red bushes.


My family and I arrive in Asheville on Friday evening and we spend all day Saturday doing the tour stuff and just having fun.  But, it's terribly cold, windy, and at times snowy!  Although we are outside with the kids most of the day, we make the most of it and have a great time.



Sunday morning, we all get up and drive to the marathon site.  It's 21 degrees but the wind is terrible.  It's blowing snow sideways!  I am dressed in 2 thermal layers, ski mask, hat, and gloves, and of course, I have my hydration pack with water and snacks.  We arrive at the marathon site and there are "warming tents" for the runners and although they are protective from the wind it's not very warm but better than standing outside exposed.  I go ahead and tell Lee and the kids to go ahead and go.  They can watch the start from the car or get breakfast.  There is no reason for them to freeze to death with me, and they haven't had breakfast yet.  Thank goodness I sent them on because the race was delayed 15 minutes due to shuttle delays from the hotels to the race start.  This is not a big deal except that it's so cold out!  Even though, it's cold, snowing, windy, I am still excited and nervous to run.



The race starts and everything is fine except my stomach hurts, but I really do not pay attention to it as I am more worried about my ITB pain.  Even though, it's better from when I first injured it 3 weeks ago, it's not where I need it to be.  I try not to think about the ITB because this race is only about 1500 feet of elevation gain so even if there are steep descents it won't last long, and I'm prepared to walk downhill if need be.  But, running in the headwind after miles and miles is starting to be a challenge!  The windchill factor is 11 degrees and along the French Broad River the windchill is 6 to 8 degrees.  The wind is blowing at 18 to 25mph but later I read on facebook that they were as much as 35 mph!  This is by far the coldest day I have ever experienced running not because it's that cold but because the wind is so cold and blowing so hard!  My eyes water and it's the only skin I have exposed! 

My stomach pain is constant and cramping.  OH no!  At least there are porta potties which I have to stop twice to use with little relief from the cramping.  I can't believe I am running this race with a time goal of around 4:20 to 4:40 hours, and I actually have to stop to go to the bathroom.  I am the person who can run 8 hours without stopping, but it cannot be helped.  I just have to laugh at the situation although it's getting progressively harder to find humor as the miles go by, and I just want to get this race done! 

At around mile 9, I see my family cheering me on, and it does lift my spirits.  I leap frog with another runner until about mile 15 and then he falls behind.  I am basically trying to find everything and anything that can distract me from this miserable experience of my stomach, cold, wind, and my ITB.  My ITB has now become the least of my worries.  I just have to get this race done!  The scenery is beautiful, but honestly, it's just so hard to fully enjoy it.  The roads turn to gravel and carriage roads.  The gravel was more heavy than I expected to run on, and I'm thankful for my trail shoes and gaitors.  Nearly all of the runners that I saw were wearing road shoes.  I couldn't help but think how sore their feet must be!

At around mile 20, my stomach, glutes, hamstrings are in excruciating pain.  This is something I have never experienced.  To say that I am miserable is an understatement.  I am cold, and running in this headwind is exhausting.  Imagine trying to run against almost constant resistance and that resistance feels like an ice tunnel!  I cannot believe how badly I am hurting from the stomach down to my knees.  My entire mid-body is racked with pain.  All, I can think about is to keep moving, do not stop, only 6 more miles.  I am counting the miles as I continue to push through the wind. 

About mile 21, I come up on a runner who is in shorts and a shirt.  Yes, I see several people dressed this way today!  They are undoubtedly inexperienced or insane!  This poor runner looks to be in his early 20's.  He is stooped over and barely walking, and I fear that in my 2 thermal layers that he is in trouble.  There are plenty of aid stations on this course and so many runners coming towards me as we are on the outbound headed to the finish.  In my best MOM voice, I tell this poor runner, "YOU HAVE GOT TO KEEP MOVING".  This further reminds me that no matter what I must not stop because if I stop, I am going to lock up and will not be able to run.  I do not want to walk for fear of being out in this cold one second longer than necessary.

At about mile 24 or so, Lee is on the course and he is cheering me on and asking me if I am ok and that he will see me at the finish.  I'm thinking to myself that he is going to miss my finish that no way can he get to the finish before me!  It was until after the race that I realize he is driving to meet me at the finish and that I am on foot!  LOL  When I saw Lee at this point,  I really really wanted to stop and say "FUCK THIS RACE and take me HOME!".  But, at the same time, I am so close to the finish.  What is another 2 miles of misery?  Still, I refuse to stop and move forward running.

I finally get to the finish and there is so much applause and honestly the largest applause I have ever experienced.  The volunteers are throwing a blanket around me, and I saw Lee and our kids even before I finished.  Lee hugs me at the finish line, and I cannot let go.  I just hold onto him a long time, and I cannot even speak.  I want to cry so hard, but no tears will come, and no relief is in sight from my pain. My pain knows no boundaries.   Lee asks me if I am ok, and I try to tell him that I hurt.  I am cold, hungry, tired, and in the most physical pain I have ever experienced.  This is as bad as childbirth times two.   He takes me to the warming tent and signs me up for a massage and tries to give me food, and I slowly eat.  I tell him it was a beautiful course and really and truly it was.  I tell him about my poor stomach, the trips to the potty, the poor folks freezing out there. 

It's my turn for the massage and the nice guy massages my ass, ITB, and my hamstrings.  IT felt so good to get some kind of relief.  I ask him if I can take him home with me as I am so grateful for his help! LOL 

We stay briefly after the race but honestly I am shivering and shaking from the cold and so are the kids so we go back to the hotel where I take a hot shower and get dressed in warm clothes.  It takes me until late the next day to warm up. 

I think about my finishing time of 4:22 hours, and I'm simply amazed with myself.  I am so happy with my time, and I have no regrets.  I ran the best that I could under the circumstances.  I later learn that this was not a typical road marathon as it's considered quite hilly.  It's 3 times as hilly as the Atlanta Publix Marathon and the fact that 2/3rd's of the race was on gravel roads made it especially more difficult than the typical road marathon. 



Later that same night, Lee shows me an online article about this race where I read that several runners had to be taken to the hospital for mild hypothermia!  I am not surprised.  The banana that I took from a volunteer and ate while running was frozen.  The little dixie cups full of drinks were frozen.  Even my insulated water tube on my camelbak froze for a short period until I made myself take regular sips from it.

So, no this is not what I expected from my first "road" marathon, but I will never forget it either.  It makes for a good story and above all a good laugh!

**Video of Asheville Marathon overview:  http://vimeo.com/58791157

1 comment: