Monday, April 16, 2012

Apples vs. Red Bushes

It takes me 5 days to get over being mad at myself about the DRT training run.  I am easing back into my runs and trying to work the pain out over the next week.  I am now back on track mind and body.  The DRT training run is now like childbirth.  It's over, and I'm ready to do it again.

I am signed up for 2 more races before the next DRT training run in late October 2011. The first race is the Ellijay Apple Festival 5k race.  My oldest, best, running friend Tommy whom I've known for 25 years is running it.  He runs it every year in like 17 min or less.  He was an awesome runner and person in high school, and he still is.  We are like peas and carrots in our running world.

Tommy is dying for an overall win but has been beaten straight by a Canadian runner for what I think is 7 years straight by seconds.  He's been bugging me for years to run this race with him.  I've only started racing consistently since this summer because Lee no longer works weekends after 20 years.  Lee has told me to run every weekend race that I want to.  So, this year I make it a priority to run the Apple Festival race with Tommy.  I told him to pick one race to do together, and I know he will pick this one.  And, he does.   The race was fun.  I was so hoping I could see him win this one as I'm sure he did too but yet again he places 2nd overall.  But, wait..he's only 3weeks older than me which means he will win the Master's award!  Guess what?  I win the Master's award too!  So, we both win our very first Master's award at the same race! We have now graduated from being highschool teammates to Master's winners!  Oh Gawwdd!  Who would have thought??


Ironically enough, Tommy and I discover that we both have also signed up for the Running Scared 13k in Ellijay.  It is an evening race.  Tommy places first overall with a crazy time of around 43 minutes.  I run it in 1:05 and ran my fastest 10k ever on this race 51:48, but it was mostly flat.  I place 2nd overall, and claim my 2nd master's win this month!  I lost by a minute.  I congratulate the winner as I think it's awesome that she has won. 

That night, Lee and I come home, meet up with some friends and play Texas hold 'em till about 3am.  I am sipping on Bailey's on ice all evening.  I get to sleep about 3:30am.  I know I have to be up and ready to run 15 miles in less than 4 hours, which is my longest run to date.  Tyler is aiming to run about 10 miles, so this means I have to run 5 miles before he gets here.  So, I am awake at 6:30am and start my 15 mile run at 7:20am. Tyler later joins me to finish out the last 10 miles.  By the time he gets here, I have just about run off my slight hangover.  After running 23 miles in less than 12 hours, I vow to never drink and run again. Another lesson learned.  I don't know if I could have gotten through it without Tyler's encouragement.  It took me 2hrs and 40min.  I felt slow.

The DRT training run #2 approaches, and I am feeling better mentally about it.  This is to be yet another 15 mile out and back run but now we are going to run the 2nd portion of the race.  Yay!  I get to test run the trail that I won't be running on race day.  The 30k racers and I will make a left onto the Forrest Service road for about 3 miles before we turn back into the trail and go back down Coosa Bald.  The 50k racers will continue right onto the trail.  This is where the 30k and 50k racers split off.  So, although I am not running the 50k, I get to see what they have to do.  Bobby says this 2nd portion is not easy, but it's easier than Coosa.

We show up in late October on a cold morning.  It's in the low 30's.  This time there are runners there who was not there at the first run.  I think there are maybe 8 of us.  I am the only girl (boohoo).  It's just me, Tyler, and Paul from our first training run.  Paul and I have been emailing running stuff since the first DRT training run.  This guy is probably the most determined ambitiously consistent runner I have come across in a long time and maybe ever.  He says he is slow, but if he is truly slow then he is by far the slowest hardest working person I have ever met.  I admire that.  This time the three of us decide to stick together.  Bobby has tape and is marking the course ahead of us as we run so that no one is lost.  He is also carrying a machete in his back pack in case he needs to clear some trails. 

I digress from just how cold it was that morning.  It's the coldest morning of the season to date.  The wind is blowing.  I am regretting not wearing my tights under my running pants.  However, I do have my camelbak full of water, peanut butter cookies, and PB&J sandwhich!  Tyler doesn't have gloves and borrows a pair from Taz who has an extra pair.  There is ice on the ground and the rain has frozen on the leaves in the trees as well as the ground.  It is cold cold cold and that wind is not making it any easier.

We take 2 vehicles and drive the 3 miles down the service road.  I am checking the road out as I'll need to run this road on race day.  Bobby gives us his cell number in case we get lost, but hopefully that won't be happening because he'll mark the trail with tape.  We all laugh about the last time we all got lost and glad we can laugh about it now.

We start running, and man, do I feel good.  I am downright happy to be there.  It's gorgeous and gray.  I am warm.  The first 5 miles fly by and all the runners meet up at the 5 mile spot briefly.  We take off again.  We are hitting some major hills and running across a ridge.  It's just beautiful.



This is my first real experience of running on leaves.  They all have just finished falling, so they are a ton of new leaves.   I do not like running on it so much.  I can't see the rocks under the leaves and with the ice they are slick. Not only can I not see the rocks, I can't see the roots, or the uneven terrain.  This would be nightmare for runners with weak ankles, and I'm thankful I have no ankle issues. 

The sun is starting to come out.  We come upon this one area where the views are absolutely gorgeous.  The sun is hitting the mountains and all the different colors are just so pretty.  There are not many leaves left, but there are enough and it's colorfully yellow and brown mostly.  It's at this point, that something changes within me, and I am feeling inspired by so much beauty, and I regret ever thinking about quitting.  This is what I want to do.  It comes to me just like that, in that single moment, watching that view, I am running, and I am happy. 

I had been struggling mentally since the last DRT run about my road races.  I have realized that I cannot be a speed demon on the short runs and a long distance trail runner at the same time.  I cannot train for both.  I must choose, and I have not know which road to travel.  Suddenly looking at this view,  somehow I know and my mental anguish is over.  I have chosen.

Along this run, I eat.  It's the first time I've ever done that.  It's not so hard.  My girl scout peanut butter cookies are the bomb!  I share them with Tyler and Paul.  We make it to the turn around point.  My hands are so frozen at this point even with gloves on that I cannot get the cap off on my pack and Tyler helps me refill it.  We get a little behind the pack and Paul is waiting on us.  Paul has kept up with Tyler and I the entire time.  Paul has fallen once or twice, and I have already fallen at least once on the way out.  I have never even fallen before, and here I end up falling at least 2 or 3 times again on the way back.  It makes me laugh!  I cannot believe I am falling! 

Tyler has shared some of his candy corns with me.  It's not chocolate, but I'll take it.  I don't even like candy corns, but on the way back, they are good.  I can't believe he has thought to bring Halloween candy, and I laugh so much still when I think about that!  Paul thinks Tyler should mark the trail with candy corns!  It is warming up on the way back and the sun is melting the ice on the leaves and trees and the ice is blowing and landing on us and the ground.  I am trying to watch the falling ice but shield my eyes for fear of getting stabbed in the eye with flying ice!  The wind is still blowing.

I do not know how Paul put up with Tyler and I being so obnoxious as we laughed and joked so much about how were were NOT going to do the 30k but do the 50k instead.  We plotted on how we wouldn't tell Dave till we got to the turning point and then make him run the 50k with us...lol  Dave did not join us for this training run because he had the Savannah half-marathon the following weekend.  Anyways,  by around mile 12 or so, Tyler and I have changed our minds.  This was now becoming hard!  I told Tyler to just run ahead, but he would not.  I was feeling tired, and for the first time, just starting to feel a bit cranky, and then Tyler handed me more candy corn, and that made me laugh.  It really did work to pick me up! 

The 3 of us at different points took turns in pacing.  I remember on the way back while I was pacing and  seeing the red tape ahead and then when we ran upon it, it was not red tape afterall.  It was a bush!  I did that at least 3 times.  Boy, was I embarassed as I realized my mind was tired.  I thought I was seeing red tape, but it was red bushes instead.  This was the first time my mind has ever gotten this tired on a run before.  This was also my longest run to date somewhere around 5 1/2 hours at the finish and just over 15 miles.  No way, could I do the 50k on race day. 

To get through those last few miles, Tyler and I tried to make up Army type songs.  We pretended that pizza and beer was at the finish and the faster we run the sooner we will finish to get our pizza and beer.  I am not lying when I say we were being such silly fools...I'm thankful that Paul has never mentioned it.  I do not remember him saying much, but I do remember him sticking with us the entire time. 

Finally, the run is over.  I am worn out.  I am sore, and I hurt.  My feet had been killing me for 3 miles.  However, I do not feel as bad as I did last month on the first DRT run.   I am still inspired to do this race and to pursue trail running.  I am so inspired that I come home and tell Lee all about it.  I am home and later that day when I've rested, I text Tommy and tell him all about my day.  I tell him about everything I saw, and how I want to do it again.  He says he wants to run it with me someday. 

I am still waiting on that day....

No comments:

Post a Comment