Friday, April 20, 2012

January 2012- Two Weeks Before Hostelity

In the first two weeks of January, I ran at least 50 miles in the rain.  Most of the time, I did not start running in the rain as I just ended up in the rain.  I remember the Sunday before Hostelity race,  I ran 17 miles alone in the rain.  It started pouring in mile 7, and I was debating on turning around and going home, but I was in the rare downhill at that moment, and I wanted to enjoy the little break.  In the next 2 to 3 miles, it did let up somewhat but by that time I was already soaken wet, so I figured I may as well finish it!  I wanted to run 18 miles that day, but by mile 17 I had a choice to make.  I could either turn right and hit this big huge hill, or I could go straight to my house.  I had already run for 3 hours and 5 minutes straight without stopping, I'm ahead of my own training schedule, and my legs carried me home.

I wake up on Monday, and I have a sore throat and the sniffles.  It is minor, but OH great..I haven't been sick in forever..and I mean it's been a long time..and days before the race, I have a cold!  Tuesday, I feel worse, and opt to miss my run and rest up before my race on Saturday.  Wednesday, I have chills and fever all day at work, and my lungs are burning.  I take Tylenol and pretend this isn't happening. 

Out of the blue this week, Tyler emails me.  I haven't heard from him since a few days past DRT race.  It's good to hear from him, and I tell him about my STET 12 ATHON challenge.  We set a date to run our 12 mile Night Hawk challenge at 5am on Thursday morning.  We start at 5am so that we can finish before daylight which scores us an extra 4 points.   This is 2 days before my 12 hour Hostelity race.  I am not worried about tapering at all for this race because I am only using the race as a training run.  I will have 29 miles in for the week before the race even starts.

Tyler comes over promptly at 5am.  I am outside warming up, and I feel worse than shit warmed over.  My lungs are full of junk and they are burning.  I am snotty.  My breathing is not good.  And, guess what?  It's raining and drizzly.  But, I gotta get this 12 mile challenge done no matter what because it's the first 12 athon of the year.  It's January 12, 2012, and I only have 12 miles to run!

We take off running, and I giggle when Tyler mentions that he doesn't remember the hills in my neighbohood being so hard.  He is right.  These hills are hard, but I have grown to enjoy them.  We go down a deserted road that I never run by myself.  It's a gradual uphill mostly for about 4 miles.  Oddly on the way back, it also feels uphill.  We eventually come up these 2 major hills that I don't like so much about a mile from my house, and I just have to stop and walk because of my lungs.  I cannot believe I have to stop and walk my neighborhood as this is a first for me, and I mention that to Tyler.  I think he is just trying to make me feel better because he says, "If I don't stop, bad things will happen".  I thought it was funny, but it did make me feel better about it. 

We briefly talk about Hostelity as he has run the trail there, and he tells me about it.  I wish that he was running the race there with Paul and I as I think it will be a fun race.  I should point out here that I think all races are fun...lol  I'm starting to worry about my 6 hour goal with the shape that I am in with this stupid cold.  I go into work that morning, and my body yet again is racked with fever and chills.  Tylenol is my friend.

Amazingly enough, by Friday, my cold is better.  I think the 12 mile run the day before actually helped me cough alot of crap out of my lungs and got the junk out.  So, I'm feeling a little better about my 12 hrs of Hostelity the next morning.  My training plan calls for an 18 mile run, but I am already ahead of my own training plan, so I have decided that my goal should be 20 miles which would be my longest run to date.  IF I feel good at 20 miles, I'll push for 26.2 miles as I have never run a marathon distance before.  But, really, I am just happy to run 20 miles. 

On Friday, that little voice says...I wish I could run for 12 hours; however, I know that I cannot.  I tell Lee that my plan is to stay and run 6 to 7 hours if I feel good.  He tells me that if I feel good and if I'm having fun to stay the 12 hours.  I'm so wishing that I could run for 12 hours...but I know that I cannot.  He tells me not to worry as he and the kids will be fine, and to stay if I want to.  I appreciate his support more than words can say as it means so much.. 

But, I already know...that I cannot...



No comments:

Post a Comment