Thursday, May 24, 2012

DRT Re-Visited

Bobby posts on FB that he is doing a DRT 50k training run on March 10th and is inviting whoever may want to go to run any distance that they might want to run.  Hmmm I am definitely interested as this is one month away from "The Jewel 50k" that I have signed up for. I know it will be a great training run for me and I opt to do just the first half.  I just have to be home by 2:30pm as Lee and I have dinner plans with friends and then we are going to the Human Body Exhibit in Atlanta.  So, I sign up and go with excitement and dread because I know that Coosa Bald hates me.

I arrive at Vogel Park and there are 7 of us.  And, I am so happy to see that 4 of us are females!  Theresa recognizes me from DRT and Hostelity, and I am surprised that she mentions and compliments me on my race at Hostelity.  I am almost embarassed about it.  It's funny that I don't mind talking about my running with people that I know well, but when it's brought up to me it just feels different. It was very unexpected, I suppose.  But, we start off running and Bobby is going to mark key areas on the trail with pink tape.  I have to laugh as I think he is marking it for the girls!  I don't care as I am just tickled pink that he is marking it, and I don't have one worry about getting lost.

The pack of us are quickly dispersed.  I am towards the bottom third of us runners which is typical for me.  I am not fast in ultra-running, and I'm ok with that.  I am just happy to be here.  It's a beautiful sunny day and it's in the 50's.  I quickly realize as it warms up that I am completly over-dressed in my 2 layers.  UGHHH it really slows me down, and I debate several times to stop and take some clothes off , but I don't want to stop, so I don't.

The trail looks different this time.  I have not been here since the DRT race in Nov.  There are a lot of trees down.  A tornado passed through a week or so before, and I wonder if that's why there are so many trees down.  I pass a water crossing that I do not remember crossing on the trail and there is a beautiful waterfall.  I stop and take a few pictures, but they do not turn out so well.  I realize that maybe when I ran this in the fall there wasn't that much water because we had a pretty dry summer.  It is really pretty out here!  It's really a much different trail than Amicalola. 


It seems that Bobby has marked the trail in just the correct spots!  I find my way easily following the pink tape.  The trail is not easier to run, but it is easier for me to navigate than it was in the past.  I can only chalk this up to more trail experience than when I first started out. 

I make my way up Coosa Bald.  This is a mountain that I cannot run but must hike instead.  There are tiny parts that I try to run, but mostly it's hiking.  I am convinced that Coosa hates me.  This is still hard, but perhaps harder because I am not going into it blind, so I know it's never going to end.  I am thinking about my DRT 30k race and remembering how I was feeling on that day as I climb.  It's not much better today..haha  Finally, I get to the top.  I think this climb is about 4 miles or so long.  I am so happy to be at the top and the snack drop off is ahead, and it's mostly downhill to the snacks.  I start running again and it feels good.  I will run faster for food anyday!  Thanks to Bobby for the yummy peach-tea gels and cookie!  YUM YUM. 

I don't stay long at the snack bar (haha), but rather take the snacks with me and start back because the hill I just ran down, I now have to climb back up it.  This hill, I think, is worse than Coosa almost.  I don't know why, but I don't like this hill.  I'm going up and up and up and then I see Theresa coming down!  YAY!  I stop and talk to her too long...perhaps 20 minutes..but it was a nice chat.  She was pulling off her pack and had a bag of medicinals.  What a smart idea!  This gal had everything...Excedrine, Ibuprofen, Tylenol..all in a little baggie.  I just had to laugh as I'm thinking, "why have I never thought of this?"  She shares her motrin with me.  We discover that we are both running "The Jewel 50k" next month!  And, later that day we friend each other on FB.  She is also new to ultra running, and I am just excited to meet another female who is also new.  I'm just bummed that we live so far away from each other as it would be fun to meet up for some runs.

Theresa makes her way down hill as I tell her she probably has about a 3/4 mile or so to go.  I resume my climb up this little mountain in the opposite direction.  I struggle up it and then start to descend down Coosa.  Woohoo!  This is like a roller coaster and the downhill is fun.  I am still slow on downhills.  Heck, I am slow uphill and downhill, but I keep trying.  It's really warming up now, and I am pretty hot, but I really don't want to take the time to remove layers, so I just suffer.  It's good summer training, right?  Or at least that's what I tell myself.  Funny, that I am too lazy to stop and remove layers, but I'll run all day long!  Oxymoron if I ever heard one! 

Finally, I am on the last 3 mile stretch of this run and my feet really hurt.  I know it's my stupid Saucony's as my feet always hurt between mile 10-13 in these shoes and today is no different.  I make another mental note to order my FREE trail shoes from Salomon!  Thank you Hostelity and Salomon once again!

I make it back to the park and get to my car just in time to make it home for my evening plans.  I didn't run it any faster than my previous training runs there, but I am so happy that I don't feel as beat up as I have previously.  Bobby's words from the first DRT training run ring in my ears, "it does get easier".  It didn't feel any easier to me this day, but I felt better.  In fact, I was able to wear high heels on my evening out!

I really had to squeeze this run into my day, but I was so happy that I was able to do it.  I know it's going to help me in my upcoming race at The Jewel!

No comments:

Post a Comment