Thursday, May 24, 2012

March Training Run- Part I

March 18th, Paul and I set out for our monthly Amicalola Falls run.  This is the best weather day we've had up there so far.  Paul isn't sure how far he can go because he just did The Stroll 12 hour race at Central Park a week or so before this training run, and he is having foot pain after running 32 miles on pavement!  I don't know how he ran 32 miles on pavement as I can't imagine myself ever wanting to do that especially in a circle...lol  But, I am not worried about how far Paul can go because I know he's going to push himself as far and as hard as he can.  That's why I like running with him because we share that common trait.  We may not be fast, but we don't stop, and we go further than we think we can.

This training run is very good for me in terms of talking running and our upcoming race "The Jewel 50k".  I really enjoy talking running strategies, running, and more running with Paul.  We both repeat the same ol' stuff and neither of us cares as I can listen and talk about running all day long.  We hash and re-hash, and I'm sure most people would run away from us if they were listening.  We also say bad words and at times lots of bad words and somehow this makes me feel better and keeps my mind off how hard this is!  Just call me POTTY MOUTH.  hehehe 

Along the way, Paul is telling me his Central Park Stroll race story.  It's the funniest thing I have ever heard of on a run.  It's pretty hard to be laughing really hard and running at the same time.  It's even funnier when we re-hash it the 2nd and 3rd time...I'm cracking up now thinking about it!  Yes, I am easily entertained, but it really is funny!

On the way up to Springer Mountain, Paul says he's not sure he can go beyond Springer today on his foot.  I tell him that's fine as I am just happy to be there running, and I am happy with any distance that he may be able to go that day.  I'd much prefer to run trails with someone than to do it alone.

I am really feeling pretty well and my little injury in my leg has healed after 7 weeks.  I have probably bored Paul to death with my woes and frustrations about my leg.  I reallly thought it was going to take 2 or 3 weeks for it to heal, but it takes 7 instead.  Geez!  I was mostly bummed because of my reduced mileage in February and now having to play catch up in March, 4-6 weeks before "The Jewel".  But, I've been running well for about 2 weeks or so now, and I am feeling pretty well and getting stronger again.

We get to Springer Mtn. and Paul says he can go further with his foot.  I knew he would as we are too much alike in this regard...ha!  It's a wonder we don't kill each other running..hahaha  We run another 3 miles and then he says it's time to turn back.  That is ok with me as I know we will get to Three Forks and to Long Creek Falls another day.  That is my goal, but it's not going to be today, and it's ok.  I am happy for whatever mileage we can get in.  On the way back to Springer we pass a female solo trail runner who is running towards Three Forks and says to us, "Now, that's what I like to see!"  I know what she means as I am always happy to see other trail runners out there especially female ones! 

Shortly, after we cross the FS road there is a guide counting his hikers in his group, and laughs as he accidentally counts us in his group and then realizes we are not in his group!  DARN, I just pulled out my sandwhich as it's about a mile uphill on rocks, and I thought I'd eat my PB&J while hiking the uphill.  But, we get caught in this group of hikers and here I am running uphill on rocks eating my PB&J at the same time to get past this large group of hikers.  That's a first for me!  It was fun and challenging.

We are making our way closer to Amicalola and we are about 5 miles away and off to the right is a very strange scene as I am running in front of Paul.  There is a bald man who must weigh at least 350 pounds and he is standing there in what looks like a hole and his back pack is up on a rock.  He is just standing there and our eyes meet for a few seconds, and I look away to focus on the trail.  I do not say anything to Paul as I got this really strange creepy vibe.  I rarely ever get creepy vibes from people, but this guy was scary...like ax murderer scary.

I'm not about to say one word to Paul about it for fear that he thinks that I am some kind of weird-o for thinking that.  Just when we get out of ear shot from Big Scary Guy, Paul says, "did you see that guy? He's really scary!"  He then tells me that as I was passing that this guy was staring me down which creeps me out further.   Paul used to compete in Judo and then proceeds to tell me that when he saw this guy he was wondering if he could get his arm around Big Scary Guy's  neck (if he had to) and then decides that he probably couldn't because his neck is so big!  I told Paul that he could stay and do his Judo, but my plan was to keep running! hahaha  I also told Paul that in all seriousness that this guy was really scary, and I was creeped out and that I'm glad that he said something about it because I wasn't about to admit that I was creeped out about him.  It was good to know that I wasn't making stuff up in my head!  I don't hear that little "warning voice" too often, but when I do, I know to listen.  It was just good to know that I wasn't off base.

The last 4 miles of this run were brutal.  My feet were really hurting from my stupid shoes, and Paul's foot was hurting.  When we got to the 4 mile mark, Paul was saying it wasn't much further and by mile 2..it was getting old as we kept saying "not much further"...I was ready to get this shit done! 

And, so we did...we got 20 miles done.  The end is always best and not so bad.  It was our slowest run to date, but I am not worried as I get to run this same trail with Margaret in 2 days!  YAY!

3 comments:

  1. Very well written and told! I did not realize I repeated the same stories! Maybe that is how I can run in circles for hour after hour (telling myself the same stories :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's so much fun to hear them all again! I find the running strategy talk to be very beneficial. I had to delete my previous comment as I had a grammatical error...lol

      Delete