Sunday, May 20, 2012

First Solo Trail Run

I was incidentally off from work on a Friday, Feb. 24th.  This was a ME day as Lee would be at work and the kids would be at school.  So, despite threats of thunder storms and rain, I head off to Amicalola Falls for my first solo run.  I am really excited and nervous.  I know the route well since I have run it twice already, but also nervous to do it alone.  It's a humid cloudy day and my favorite weather to run in!  I am lucky enough to shed my layers and just be comfortable as it's about 60 degree's or so. 

I get to the falls and start running.  I realize that I am seeing and hearing things that I never saw or heard before.  When I run with other folks I tend to talk running, running strategies, and more running and also spend time listening to what my running friend(s) may have to say.  It's a great distraction from the hard work I am putting into my run.  And, it passes the time more quickly.  But, today it is different.  It's me and the outdoors and boy does it all look and sound different!

It's very cloudy and sometimes dark, and it's windy again.  The wind is higher in the trees and not always blowing on me, but it's loud as the tree's are swaying when I look up.  There are times when the trees are creaking so loud that I wonder if one is going to fall today while I am out there.  I hear all kinds of birds, but I don't see any birds.  The sun shines briefly but then it's gone.  It's eerie in sections.  I run downhill across this section that looks dark.  The dirt is dark, the trees are dark and the clouds are dark.  It reminds me of a spooky haunted house scene that I've scene in nearly every horror movie I have ever watched.  It's just eerie.  It makes me run faster through this section before I get too creeped out.

I am climbing uphill and the sun pokes out again (yess!).  Something about the sun just makes me feel better, and I am enjoying the uphill even more.  But, then it sprinkles and rains a bit and passes quickly.  I am trying to save my PB&J to eat on top of Springer Mountain, but I am hungry now, so I pull it out and eat it while climbing the uphill.  I make it to Springer in 2hrs 5 min.  This is a record for me!  YEAH!  I am feeling pretty good.  The little injury in my leg hurts off and on, but it's getting better and everytime my left hip tightens up and hurts I stop and stretch it, but I am actually feeling pretty good despite my little pains.  The brief stretches are helping.

I am excited to descend from Springer.  It's downhill for awhile.  I try to practice my downhill running.  I can always feel myself holding back and being cautious, so I work on this yet again.  I run for about 2 miles and finally see a couple hiking!  I ran for over 9 miles before I saw the first people!  It's funny that running solo as a female I am aware of my surroundings and my fear is "bad people" because I read and hear the horror stories of what can happen to solo female runners.  But, I am actually happy to see people in this moment because today I have been worried about animals!  What if I saw a bear, coyote, snake,  or a rabid animal?  What would I do?  The stuff I think about while running! 

I continue to run and darn the haunted section still looks haunted except now it's even darker.  I worry for a bit that I am really going to get caught in the storm that the weather predicted.  But, now I have to climb uphill through this section, and I try to run as much as I can just to pass the scariness.  But, I get past it and come across more hikers.  As I am making my wake back to Amicalola, I am really feeling good about my run.  I come across a hiker sitting on a log right there on the trail.  He hears me coming and he gets up.  He says, "Are you running this whole thing?".  I said, "Just 15 miles today".  He says, "God Bless you"!  I thought it was funny.  And, then before I know it, I am finished.  It's ended in 4 hours 8 minutes.  I can't believe it.  I know this would be slow for a lot of ultra runners, but it's fast for me, and I am happy with it.  I am thankful that my little injuries are healing and that I am beginning to feel better.  I am thinking about the DRT 50k and for the first time EVER I begin to really believe that I can do it this year. 

Paul posts on my FB page and wants to know how I did this run so fast!  I say it's because I didn't talk the whole way, and it's true.  I always run faster when I run by myself.  Solo runs are good for my running on so many levels.  I'd much prefer to run trails with friends for safety reasons, and it's more fun as I do enjoy company.  But, I am glad that when I couldn't find someone to run with me this day that I went anyways.  I would definitely do it again when the opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment